Friday, September 07, 2007

Sperm Donation

i was strolling on the street when the scene of a couple fiddling about with their newborn baby suddenly hit my tears glands. i felt sour in the eyes, and yet touched by what i had seen before me. it's not the thing that normal parents playing around with their babies that rose up the maudlin me, but the old couple who seemed to really cherish their baby which maybe they have gotten it after a long time of struggles, a countless times of hope-shattering failure to conceive, or maybe after the unbearable pains of injections if the baby had been conceived through IVF or some sort of medical methods to help getting the baby. Anyway, they seemed too old to have the baby through a natural way.

A hell of a thought crossed my mind when i made my way to the uni after that. Sperm donation was that bizarre of a thought, considering that i am only 19, which is still reckoned as a baby for most of the people. I doubt that i am of the legal age to do sperm donation as been thought of being not mentally ready to be a biological father. So for a moment, i set the thought aside.

The actual reason that i have had the slightest idea of doing sperm donation was that i wanted to offer my help to those infertile couples as well as having the dramatic storyline in my mind that some day i will bump into a little Shane when i am walking on the street, how amazing it can be. i am well aware that someday i will have to take up the responsibilities of being a biological father, or maybe my own child in the future will be shockingly receiving the news one day that they have a half bro/sis all these years. It's not easy to deal with those things which they have classified them as ethical problems. According to the law, the child will not be told of his biological father until he reaches the age of 18, which i think he is matured enough to know who will have been his parents all these while and the biological father will merely be an exciting thought but not likely to replace the father who has been raising him up.

During the materials lecture, i told Tim about my idea of donating the sperms.

"f*** you! " he wrote it on my handout.
"i am disturbed!" he wrote again when i told him all the stuff.

"it's kinda weird to see all the little shane running on the street" he said it to me when we were walking back to the uni after lunch.

i am wondering why would i ever have this thought! But it just occured to me, not expecting i would really go into it and find out all the details. But to do or not to do is not an easy decision to make, and i dont think i will be doing it as that will really shock the people around me to death.

the thought of bumping into someone who looks like you out of the blue is kinda of scary, yet exciting. isn't it?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The title itself already freaked me out of hell.. I thought you've already done it..haha..

but then this idea has never corssed my mind before. you're CRAZY! :)

baby

HitoMi Ng said...

nice thought...
a deep thought..haha

ethical or not depends on how you see it nevertheless

so maybe you wish to see your baby Shane walking on the street?

or maybe your children would freak out seeing their "unnatural" brothers or sisters?

by the way, I am Shane too...
also known as hitomi gosetsuke